Saturday 10 January 2015

South Island on Wheels: Queenstown


Click the link to see the summary of the trip!

------------

Queenstown Lakeview Holiday Park

Queenstown Lakeview

Address: Upper Brecon Street, Queenstown 9348, New Zealand  
Tel: +64 3442 7252     
Fees: $25/pax for powered site

It is one of the most conveniently located Holiday Park in Queenstown. Even the famous Top 10 in Queenstown is still a distance away from the town center and tourist attractions. Queenstown Lakeview is just a mere 5 mins walk from the Skyline Gondola or 5 mins the other direction to the town center. 

This is a large complex with about a hundred Camper sites and is also one of the most expensive Holiday Park we stayed at. I'm not complaining though. We're paying for the convince and facilities. The kitchen is a large building with lots of dining tables, stoves and sinks. We did laundry that night too and it was $4 each for the washer and dryer. You could even borrow a hairdryer from the reception before it closes.

Skyline Luge

LUGE!
Address: PO BOX 17 Brecon St Queenstown ,  New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 441 0101
Fax: +64 3 442 6391
Email: queenstown@skyline.co.nz

Luge prices
If you've been to Sentosa Island just off Singapore, you'd know we have out own luge as well. Singapore's luge is NOTHING compared to Queenstown's Skyline Luge! First, we took the Gondola from the base of the mountain up to the top. And we still had to take a chair lift further up to start riding the luge. 

A photo posted by Natasha Lim (@natatatasha) on

There were two routes, one with a higher difficulty than the other. In order to go on the track with the higher difficulty, you first had to take the easier route to get used to it. 

I must say both routes are definitely challenging. You need to break while taking corners or going down the slope or you might end up at the first aid station. On a side note: You really do WANT to break, going too fast and you'd end up missing the beautiful view of the lake and mountains that stand before you. 

AJ Hackett Ledge Bungy

I must be crazy

Address: Corner of Shotover & Camp Streets  PO Box 488  Queenstown
Phone: +64 3 450 1300
Email: bungycentre@bungy.co.nz

My first time jumping off a perfectly fine ledge? I must be crazy right?

I took a long while before I finally pushed myself off the ledge. It was so intimidating I swear! The thing about this Ledge Bungy is that you're attached to a harness around your body, so I felt more secure and I wanted to do my first jump with them.

It started off with us filling up the indemnity form, taking our weight and tagging us. I wasn't nervous yet, I was still joking around with Gilbert and all. Laughing about my weight and how 'round' I've become. 

We walk over to the box which is protruding out from the mountain cliff and you have a beautiful bird's eye view of the entire town. I wasn't nervous still. There were three guys assisting us with the harness, told us the safety rules and asked us how we want to jump.

Thanks for keeping me safe!
Gilbert actually volunteered me to go first. Because I was all gung-Ho and crap. 

So, while in the harness, the guys actually asked me to walk to the edge to take a photo. And yes, that's when I started to have cold sweat, heart thumping wildly against my chest and freaked out a little. 

I think I ran to the edge three times and all three times I ran back to the safety of the box. I couldn't bring myself to throw my body off this bloody ledge! I know, I'm not THAT crazy. 

But I'm poor and a mini adrenaline junkie. I didn't want to waste my $195 which I spent to feel like I was 'flying' or dying, which ever way you see it.

at the edge of the world.
On the fourth try, I ran to the edge, stopped at the edge because I was scared. In a milisecond, a thought flashes through my mind, "I don't want to waste the $195 that I've already spent." So I pushed myself off the edge. Gilbert said I looked like I tripped or someone pushed me off.

It wasn't the best feeling ever. It felt like I was falling forever (from the video it's just 2 seconds). It's so different as compared to sky-diving because you know someone skilled is attached with you. This.. You feel like you'll land upon the trees and you've left your heart out on the mountain top. 

I screamed a blood curling scream, even the Bungy guys told Gilbert it was an awesome scream. Gilbert realized how terrified I must have been, he knows me well, and have never heard me scream like that before. Not even on scary roller coasters. 

The rope eventually ran taut and I bounced like a yoyo several times before collecting my wits scattered around me (some probably splattered into the Rocky Mountain side and some flew into the lake), I looked up and three concerned faces peered over the ledge. I signaled my 'OK' and they lowered a rope to hoist me back to safety, where my feet are able to touch solid ground. 

The Helicopter Line: The Remarkables



Address:  Lucas Place, Queenstown Airport, Queenstown, New Zealand Postal: PO Box 1530, Queenstown, New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 442 3034
Call Free: 0800 500 575 (within New Zealand only)
Email: queenstown@helicopter.co.nz
Website: http://www.helicopter.co.nz/queenstown/

It was my first time on the helicopter and it was Gilbert's first time touching and seeing snow!

After the bungy, we were just walking around town, looking for cheap tours or activities kill time. We did not plan to take this helicopter ride at all. So, we walked past this banner and a sign advertising helicopter tours at a cheap and reasonable price, went in, paid and next thing we know, we're being picked up and we're sitting on the helicopter.

It was a little intimidating at first because we're seated next to the pilot. It was how a helicopter should feel like, according to Gilbert. The ground peels away really fast and it seems like it comes up really fast when we're landing, but according to the pilot, it's just an illusion and it's perfectly normal.

A photo posted by Natasha Lim (@natatatasha) on
We stood on The Remarkables and we felt like we're standing on top of the world! There was a puddle of 'snow' or rather, melted snow, whatever remnants from Winter. You should see how happy Gilbert was, prancing around and throwing the hard ice at me. I felt a pang of guilt then, because I knew that's not how snow was supposed to feel like. It's fluffy and soft, like cotton candy.

Then, it started to HAIL. That was my first time experiencing hail and it hurts like a hell lot!

We had an enjoyable time, the pilot is very knowledgeable and told us stories about Queenstown. From such a high altitude, you'd able to have a bird's eye view of the entire town AND the mountains.

Flame Bar & Grill

Steak!!
Address: 61 Beach Street, Queenstown East 9300, New Zealand
Phone:+64 3-409 2342

So, while purchasing tons of cookies at Cookie Time, we asked the cashier where we could have really nice steak here. She recommended us this restaurant. It's set by the lake/beach overlooking the turquoise waters.

We ordered a steak, lamb chops, a side of mussels and two mocktails. The steak & lamb were cooked to perfection, tender and juicy! If only we knew of this place before hand and reserved a table by the window.

-------------------------------

Read All About:






No comments:

Post a Comment